Several of my clients ask me about the big square box in the center portion of the house’s upper floor ceiling behind a collection of self-closing louvers. It’s an entire house fan also it can either benefit property owners or make living conditions worse.
* Preferably mild climates with cooler and fewer humid nights
* Utilize it only when the temperature and humidity outside is much more favorable than the conditions indoors. In case your air-con system has become operating through the day, and also the temperature outside drops lower (although the humidity remains to be high), don’t turn the More Bonuses. The vent will suck all the humid air to your air conditioned house
* The best time periods to work with it would be, naturally, morning hours and evening
Should you suffer from allergies, it may not be smart to bring all of the pollution into the house. Your window screens will stop a number of it, but whole house fans are incredibly powerful and can make you sneeze more than ever before.
1. Before you turn the fan on, open several doors and windows as is possible, close fireplace damper and / or glass door, and shut the furnace / water heater room doors (if they are louver type, it won’t matter). The suction in the whole house fan (at the very least with the highest speed) is really great, that without open windows / doors, it can draw air from the outside through any possible openings like, for instance, from the chimney. When it is a fireplace chimney and you don’t remove the ashes… well, it’s likely to be a mess. If it is a water heater / furnace chimney, it might blow from the pilots.
2. When things are ready, you may turn on the complete house fan and in most cases in the next few seconds you must feel a lot of exterior air flowing throughout the house. Unless…
3. This part is essential as opening the doors and windows – both really need to be balanced to perform properly in order to really gain benefit from the whole house fan operation. The environment drawn by the whole house fan has to be discharged throughout the attic vents for the exterior. Otherwise, pressure created within the attic area will cause the air which was just pulled out of your house to come back with dust and insulation particles through any possible gaps inside the attic wh0le as well as the whole house fan itself.
Regular attic ventilation is probably not enough to support the tumblr operation; you will need far more to hold all that extra volume of air on the exterior. As well as the formula to calculate the sq footage from the attic vents expected to discharge that air is simple. You simply need the proportions of your rooms:
Example: your ceilings are 8′ high and you will have four 10′ x 14′ rooms, one 15′ x 17′ room, along with a 10′ x 3′ hallway (this is just a sample, calculate all the rooms within your house you think needs to be covered)
10’x14’x8′ = 1120×4 = 4480
15’x17’x8′ = 2040
10’x3′ = 30
Total – 6550 cubic feet
Now you must to divide 6550 by 750, which equals 8.73 sq feet – this is the portion of the required attic vents (every one of them combined – soffit, ridge, gable, etc.)
4. When the house you’re getting into has the whole house fan already installed, lets hope which it was properly sized up for its purpose (there can be a tag on the unit itself), which would be to replace your property air within just a couple minutes.
5. If you’re normally the one installing the entire house fan, consider 3 or 4 minutes as being an optimal time to the house air exchange. To accomplish this, you’d have to divide your property total air volume (6550 cubic feet from your sample) by 3 or 4 minutes. That will give us 1810 CFM / 1357.5 CFM (Cubic Feet each minute).
6. Yet another essential thing: louvers from the here will not be air tight and possess no insulation applied on their surface; they leak air between your house and attic. I would personally recommend installing an entire house fan cover in attic area in order to avoid air drafts throughout the cold season – don’t forget to get rid of it prior to deciding to utilize the fan again.
Whole house fans are noisy and lots of people never utilize them, however they might benefit your wallet if you apply the suggestions above. There are currently other kinds of house ventilation systems available: they can be more expensive (2 – 3 times) but very quiet, more efficient, and give air flow for prolonged intervals.