With the popularity of NBA shirts Australia growing dramatically in the last decade, so have the volume of fake or counterfeit jerseys on offer as authentic. Unfortunately, counterfeit jerseys are big business. It can be estimated that tens of vast amounts are lost every year to counterfeiters. Legitimate sales are lost, producer’s royalties are unpaid, as well as the sports fans get inferior quality merchandise – everybody loses!
Many scam artists setup shop and peddle their fake merchandise at sports activities and temporary locations. The sales pitch usually commences with a great deal price. Normally, this is the hook that is utilized to lure the potential buyer right into a high-pressure sales hype.
The owner may let you know that the reason behind the bargain price is they received a great deal on overstocked merchandise, or these were fortunate enough to buy out of the stock of the going-out-of-business retailer. Not to mention, this features a “guarantee” the sports jersey is the genuine article. Don’t buy it!
Probably these sports jerseys are knock-offs (unauthorized copies) shipped in from overseas. These fakes usually feature poor quality materials and inferior manufacturing processes. Bad stitching, faded colors, off-sizes, and all of-around cheap appearance are typical characteristics from the counterfeit jersey.
The same unscrupulous vendors go advanced by selling their fake merchandise on the web. If you wish to try your hand at buying that favorite sports jersey at among the online auctions – think again! It is actually estimated that up to 95% of your Mitchell & Ness throwback jerseys in love with eBay are counterfeits.
Law enforcement agencies are starting to police these fake sports jerseys along with the vendors that sell them. The counterfeit jerseys are confiscated and the vendors arrested. Selling or manufacturing counterfeit jerseys is certainly a serious crime. Penalties for a first offense certainly are a fine as much as $2 million and several years in prison. A 2nd offense virtually doubles these penalties.
Despite these efforts, there is certainly still a huge black marketplace for the counterfeit jerseys. The policing agencies are simply not staffed up to stop the big inflow of the basketball singlets cheap to arrive from overseas. So, your best advice is – Buyer Beware!
Follow these 6 tips and there is no doubt that your next purchase could be the “real deal” – an authorized, high-quality official sports jersey:
* Be suspicious of prices too good to be real – they usually are.
* Don’t buy your jersey from your street vendor – authorized dealers rarely market authentic sport jerseys in stadium parking lots or on street corners.
* Look at the jersey carefully. Fakes ordinarily have poor stitching and faded (or wrong) team colors.
* Believe it or not, check the spelling of your name of your team or player. Fakes usually have misspellings. Consider it – a name like R-o-e-t-h-l-i-s-b-e-r-g-e-r just isn’t so easy to obtain right.
* Look for the state sport logo – NHL, NFL, MLB, NBA, etc. Most NBA singlets Sydney display the league logo such as a hologram.
* Official jerseys display the name of dexupky45 licensed manufacturer and a trademark — this is a must.
Remember – when the “deal” sounds too good, it probably is! Smart sports fans, just like you, make their sports jersey purchases from reputable, licensed merchants and are proud of knowing that they are wearing the genuine DEAL!